Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Movie vs. Book


Let's face it: we all knew how the movie was going to end.

But that doesn't make it any less painful.

The Hunger Games trilogy will always be one of favorite book series of all time. Out of the three, Catching Fire tops my list (unusual, I know. But what can I say? I'm a sucker for plot twists), followed behind by Hunger Games, and, at the very bottom, lies Mockingjay. My opinion is that there was not enough time to pound out a third book that would be as good as the other two. Mockingjay was destined to be fall short of expectations. As I have just seen the movie, I believe film makers have copied this trend. 

Mockingjay, the book, was the most destroying of the three books. Violence, death (lots and lots of death), and war all played a huge part. It is to be expected that the movie, which is based on such a dark and tragic book, would end up dark and tragic as well. 

Jennifer Lawrence is (and I think we can all agree on this) an amazing actress. She portrays Katniss so well, so true to the character. Although we did not see Peeta Mellark (played by Josh Hutcherson) for most of the movie, the parts he could be seen in were powerful. Of course, I cannot forget about Liam Hemsworth, who plays Gale. I believe that the Hemsworth brothers are gifts that should be appreciated whenever possible. As to be expected, Hemsworth's performance was perfection. There were several very powerful moments. Goosebumps ensued. Tears pricked the backsides of my eyeballs. I became emotionally invested in this movie, and I felt as if I had just ridden a roller coaster by the time the lights finally turned on. 

One thing that seems to be missing from most war-related or violent films is consideration for the character's well being throughout the battle. Mockingjay did not follow this pattern. The film makers seemed intent on defying the accepted idea that warriors are indifferent to the bloodshed around them, and I appreciated that. Both the movie and the book made very it clear that the war going on around Katniss was devastating. The savagery and the barbarism Katniss witnesses is enough to drive her insane. 

I have been and always will be a Team Peeta person; Gale was never an option for me. That said, I think it is fair to say that this movie, no matter how dark or violent, set me up to want to watch Part 2 the day it comes out. I don't know how I'll stand the wait. My only hope is that they won't go overboard with the violence and that they will keep it PG-13. 

While it definitely wasn't as good as the other two, I liked this movie, and it is a must see for all Hunger Games fans. Mockingjay Part 2 (which has already been filmed and finished by the way) is to be withheld from audiences until November 20 of 2015. 





No comments:

Post a Comment