Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Fairytale Retellings



Top Ten Tuesday is a fantastic meme hosted by the Broke and Bookish.

This Week's Topic: Fairytale Retellings

A fairytale retelling is considered classic in the realm of young adult novels. The Queens of the fairy tales (and of this list) have to be Alex Finn, Marissa Meyer, and Gail Carson Levine, all of which seem to specialize in retelling the favorites. Most of the books that I've chosen for this list are from my childhood, give or take one or two, because, I'll be honest, I'm growing out of the retellings. However, that in no way denies the fact that these book are some of the best I've ever read. Here are my top ten choices:

28194544891160670081123571218404312

1. Ink Heart by Cornelia Funke: As a kid, I loved both this book and its movie. Ink Heart is, in my mind, the quintessential retelling. It is literally about having the power to bring fairytale book characters to life by reading aloud. It perfectly captures the essence of imagination and storytelling and is a great read for middle grades and up.
2. Beastly by Alex Finn: As I said before, Alex Finn is a Queen of fairytale retellings. Along with Beastly, I also love A Kiss in Time. (Towering, however, I was not a fan of. At all.) Beastly was inspired by Beauty and the Beast, and A Kiss in Time was inspired by Sleeping Beauty. Alex Finn has also written stories derived from Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, and The Frog Prince. 
3. Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis: When it was released, Stitching Snow got a lot of YA hype surrounding it. In this novel, R.C. Lewis retold the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
4. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer: Meyer was the first person I thought of when I saw that the prompt for this week. In the Lunar Chronicles, Meyer has retold Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel. Everyone who is anyone in the YA book world knows about Meyer and her wildly popular Lunar Chronicles series.
5. Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen: This is my favorite book out of the entire list. Lisa Jensen spins Peter Pan (which I consider a fairy tale) into a rich and exciting story told from Captain Hook's point of view.

Dorothy Must Die10507293161887751492524337


6. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige: I haven't seen many retelling of The Wizard of Oz, and this is the only one I've actually read. Edgy and strangle and inexplicably good, it was hard to forget this book even after I'd finished.
7. The Selection by Kiera Cass: Even if this whole series is obviously a spin-off of the Bachelor, it does have some traces of Cinderella, which apparently has earned it a spot on this list. It makes me mad how addictive this series really is. Impossible to put down is an understatement.
8. East by Edith Pattou: I read this a long time ago, but I still remember. It has to be one of the best Beauty and the Beast retellings out there today.
9. Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson: If I included one Peter Pan retelling, I had to include another. Peter Pan, the story, is amazing, but this take on the briefly mentioned minor character Tiger Lily was so perfect.
10. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine: When I was younger, Gail Carson Levine was my whole world. In my elementary school's library, there was an entire shelf dedicated to her books. Every time we went in there, I was drawn to that shelf like the impressionable magnet I was. She was my idol, and my childhood love of reading was pretty much built around her. Plus, it's pretty much impossible to dislike Ella Enchanted. 

Some fairytale retellings that I desperately want to get my hands on:

A Court of Thorns and Roses21570318Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1)Egg & Spoon

1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
2. Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
3. Wicked by Gregory Maguire
4. Egg & Spoon by Gregory Maguire




No comments:

Post a Comment