Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Eye of Minds Review

The Eye of Minds by James Dashner

Title: The Eye of Minds
Author: James Dashner
Series: The Mortality Doctrine #1
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Genre: Science Fiction; Young Adult
Pages: 308
Format: Hardback
goodreads
Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?

But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead.Yet the gamer’s                                                                                  motives are a mystery.

The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.

I hate writing bad reviews. I really do. I hate reading them and I hate writing them. I don’t think it’s fair to the book, because for every book there is at least one person out there who will love it. I least one person will enjoy reading its contents, and what if, that person destined to love that book reads a bad review? They might never find each other! The book’s soul mate will never find the book they were meant to love.

Okay, maybe it doesn’t happen exactly like that, but you get my point.

Just because one person hated the book doesn’t mean others will. It’s a singular opinion and everyone won’t have that same opinion. So I just want to say right now, that this is a bad review. Well, not literally a bad review–just a review about a book that I didn’t like. Even though I didn’t like it, a lot of other people did. Do not vow to never read, look at, or think about this book. Just consider my and other people’s opinions. Who knows? You may love it. But like every other book you pick up, you may also hate it.

Let’s get one thing straight: I love James Dashner as an author. I think any person who can write a book as brilliant as The Maze Runner is and always will be a genius. It is one of all-time favorites. And don’t even get me started on Dylan O’Brien. Can I just say BEST CASTING EVER! Anyway, this book hasn’t made me change my opinion of him. It just wasn’t my kind of book.

You know when you read those books that make you feel like you should be put in a psychiatric ward, your mind is so messed up after reading it? The Eye of Minds did that to me. It’s like there was no limit on what could happen, so the weirdest, most crazy, will-play-with-your-mind things occurred.  And it seemed like James Dashner was trying to tell me something with every insane event. Like there was a symbolism to everything, but I was wearing an eye patch on both eyes, so I blind to any other meaning. I was so confused and my head was starting to hurt by about page 230. I wanted to get this book but I. Just. Didn’t.

And the ending! Oh, the ending! If all the other pages of the book sent my head spinning, then the end nearly unscrewed my head from my neck. Talk about mind boggling.

I didn’t like this book. At all. I didn’t get it. But maybe you will. I sorry to say, that this is just one of those one-star book for me. 









No comments:

Post a Comment