Monday, July 14, 2014

To All The Boys I've Loved Before Review

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han




Title: To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Series: To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: April 15, 2014
Genre: Romance; Contemporary; Realistic Fiction; Young Adult
Pages: 288
Format: Hardback
goodreads
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.




When I write, I hold nothing back. I write like he’ll never read it. Because he never will.
Let me just start out my saying that I loved this book far more than I thought I would and a lot more than anyone should ever love a book. I’m not saying this is the next Fault in Our Stars or Eleanor & Park. I am just saying that this book was the highest level of good that you can give a summer read.

Lara Jean is the middle sister of three, second daughter of an Ob-gyn dad, and was practically raised by her semi-aloof big sister Margot. The book starts out with Lara Jean dealing with the fact that her big sister is leaving for an overseas college, leaving behind her two sisters and a recently broken-up with ex-boyfriend Josh (who Lara Jean is not-so-fortunately hard core crushing on). When letters that Lara Jean had written to all her past crushes are mysteriously sent to all the boys they were addressed to, her love life goes from nil to chaotic and awkward.  

This is our life; there’s no use in asking what if. No one could ever give you the answers. I try, I really do, but it’s hard for me to accept this way of thinking. I’m always wondering about the what-ifs, about the road not taken.

While it may not a product of genius or the next mind-imploding novel, I really liked it. I liked it so much that when I turned the last page and saw the word “Acknowledgments” instead of another chapter number, I was this close to throwing my book at the wall. Thankfully, I contained myself until I figured out that there was a sequel. Even if it is coming out in 2015. (UUUHHHH!)

The relationships between the sisters was true, well written and sweet. I was about half-way through the book before I guessed what was going to happen. And I was right. Which made me unexplainably happy. I loved the romance; it fed my girly-girl, romance-obsessed heart.

The writing was awesome, the characters were interesting and the romance was spot on. The sequel cannot get here fast enough. The all-time perfect fluffy and fun book for summer.







April 21, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment