Monday, July 7, 2014

Second Chance Summer Review

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson


Title: Second Chance Summer
Author: Morgan Matson
Series: None
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Genre: Realistic Fiction; Contemporary; Romance; Young Adult
Pages: 468
Format: Hardback
goodreads
Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.


I wouldn’t have even thought to pick up this book a year ago. I would’ve thought it was too cliché and ooey-gooey to be a serious read. But, for the heck of summer, I decided to read it. I mean, what other book could be more perfect for summer reading? I also read Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour and thought it was beyond cute. So I had high hopes. And I can’t say that I was disappointed.

Taylor has a habit of taking the cowardly way out of serious situation: running away. All she wants to do is leave the hard stuff in the dust. When the unthinkable happens, she is dragged to the place that she never thought she would return to. Like, ever. There she meets her former best friend and boyfriend, both of which have changed in ways that surprises her. When her past catches up to her, she must face it head on. She will finally get the second chance she needs at friendship and love. She just has to take it and not leave it stranded behind her.

I couldn’t put this book down in the beginning. What could’ve possibly have happened to have caused such a rift between her and her friends? It must’ve been horrible right? I was conjuring up all these ghastly scenarios in my head about betrayal and conspiracy and all those really bad things. When the big secret was finally revealed, I have to say that I was a little underwhelmed. Matson really played it up to be a super horrible thing, but to me, it was not as bad as she made it up to be. Maybe it was my overly-dramatic imagination, but it could’ve been way worse.

The romance was very well done if not just a tad mellow. It sent my heart thump-thump-thumping and was dreamy-sigh worthy. I don’t cry at books (except for Fault in our Stars of course– I do have just a little bit of a soul), but this was one of those books that I wanted to cry at. To anyone planning to read this book, be forewarned: it’s sad. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Second Chance Summer was a perfect pool-side read and I don’t regret reading it one bit. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a little bit of summer romance. 







No comments:

Post a Comment