Friday, July 4, 2014

Smile For The Camera: A Memoir Review

Smile for the Camera: A Memoir by Kelle James


Title: Smile for the Camera: A Memoir
Author: Kelle James
Series: None
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: November 2, 2010
Genre: Nonfiction; Memoir; Young Adult
Pages: 392
Format: Hardback
goodreads
Kelle James left an abusive home at the age of sixteen and went to the best place she could imagine: New York City. She had big plans of becoming a model, but within a week she was homeless and broke. What follows is her exceptional story of trying to make it on her own with nothing to her name and no one to trust. She encounters a string of people who take advantage of her youth and beauty, endures many disappointments and rejections, and has a surprising connection to an infamous murder trial. This sparse narrative of a girl who loses herself before finding her way is not only utterly compelling; it’s entirely true.


I made a pact with myself that I would pick up at least one nonfiction book from the library every time I went. This was my pick.

I don’t usually read nonfiction, and to be honest what avid young-adult reader does? I always convince myself that fiction is better, but the truth is that sometimes a real life story is more priceless than a thousand made up ones. I learn something every time I read a nonfiction book. For example, I learned that it would probably not be the wisest decision to move to New York and try to become a model. Not necessarily the most sound plan in life. But hey, it worked for Kelle James. As hard as it was for her.

This novel was gritty in every sense of the word. It is a classic story about girls against the world. Kelle James is running from a hard past life when she goes to New York with a dream of becoming a successful model. She and her best friend Rayna try to conquer the concrete jungle all the while trying to escape the exploitations it brings.

I don’t love this novel. I don’t even dislike it. It’s one of those books that I know I won’t forget anytime soon, but not because I loved it or hated it. It was inspiring how, even though she went through things I could never dream of going through, Kelle James still succeeded. Even with the tide going against her, she made it. She did it. And that’s something to admire.

The writing was simple and real. James refuses to sugar coat anything about her story. This story could be brutal at times but heart felt at others.  

Smile for the Camera: A Memoir was an interesting read about a life I’ll probably never come close to living. Overall, definitely not a bad book.









No comments:

Post a Comment