Monday, June 2, 2014

The City of Heavenly Fire Review

The City of Heavenly Fire (Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare



Title: The City of Heavenly Fire 
Author: Cassandra Clare 
Series: The Mortal Instruments #6 
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry (Simon & Schuster) 
Publication Date: May 27th 2014 
Genre: Supernatural; Young Adult 
Pages: 725 
Format: Kindle ebook 
goodreads
Synopsis: 
Darkness has descended on the Shadowhunter world. Chaos and destruction overwhelm the Nephilim as Clary, Jace, Simon, and their friends band together to fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Nothing in this world can defeat Sebastian–but if they journey to the realm of demons, they just might have a chance… Lives will be lost, love sacrificed, and the whole world will change. Who will survive the explosive sixth and final installment of the Mortal Instruments series?
"We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss."        
 The Mortal Instrument series has had me hook, line, and sinker since page one of City of Bones.  After each world-destroying cliffhanger and frustration filled respite between books, I subsequently fell in love with City of Ashes, Glass, Fallen Angels, Lost Souls, and finally City of Heavenly Fire.  Like all of Clare's books, it was gripping and filled with emotionally-traumatizing plot twists. 

Like most of the Mortal Instrument series, Jace Lightwood is struggling with an internal conflict. Of course, in this new edition to the series, he is neither possessed nor brainwashed, which, may I be the one to say, is a definite first! Compared to the problems Jace has had in the past, this is only a material problem. 

While Jace is struggling to control his freakishly divine angel fire powers with the help of his friends and Clary, Sebastian, like all good malevolent antagonists, is making sure to make the life of the Nephilim as difficult as possible. Raids of Institutions and random acts of murder are only some of the things he has decided to plague the Shadowhunters with. 

Relationships will divide, love will be sacrificed, and world-altering decisions will be made. Just another day as a Shadowhunter...

The opening pages of the book were hard for me to get absorbed into. The first few moments seemed to go as follows: talk, talk, talk, attack!, talk, talk, talk, talk, attack!, talk, talk. The sheer amount of dialogue was hard to grasp. I am only grateful that Cassandra Clare is as good of a writer as she actually is. While there was so much dialogue, in my opinion, dialogue is one of Cassandra Clare's specialties. Very few writers can make dialogue seem as effortless and natural as she can. 


"I loved you recklessly from the moment I knew you. I never cared about the consequences. I told myself I did. I told myself you wanted me to, and so I tried, but I never did. I wanted you more that I wanted to be good. I wanted you more than I wanted anything ever." 

You know when you've found a good book when, after you've read the first three words of the beginning sentence, you no longer know exactly what is going on around you. You no longer hear your classmates' boisterous noises or heavy guffaws. You no longer feel the chair beneath you or remember to swallow your own spit. You know when you've found a great book when you start reading, and, as you are transported into its world, you stop living in your own. City of Heavenly Fire gave me some of those moments.

I thought this book was beyond fantastic. It captivated me until the very end and I still wanted more than what I was given. I would recommend this book and this series to anyone who has read anything by Cassandra Clare, or anyone who wants to read a roller coaster ride of emotions and plot twists. This was actually the first time I have ever read something in this series where I didn't actually want to cry and hurl my book at the wall. The end left me endlessly pleased and eagerly waiting for the next series under the Shadowhunter name. 


"Freely we serve/ Because we freely love, as in our will/ To love or not; in this we stand or fall." 














No comments:

Post a Comment