Thursday, June 26, 2014

Scorched Review

Scorched by Mari Mancusi


Title: Scorched
Author: Mari Mancusi
Series: Scorched #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: September 3, 2013
Genre: Fantasy; Young Adult
Pages: 352
Format: Hardback
Trinity
Don’t leave me here... It starts with a whisper. At first Trinity thinks she’s going crazy. It wouldn’t be a big surprise—her grandpa firmly believes there’s a genuine dragon egg in their dusty little West Texas town. But this voice is real, and it’s begging for her protection. Even if no one else can hear it...

Connor
He’s come from a future scorched by dragonfire. His mission: Find the girl. Destroy the egg. Save the world.

Caleb
He’s everything his twin brother Connor hates: cocky, undisciplined, and obsessed with saving dragons. 

Trinity has no idea which brother to believe. All she has to go by is the voice in her head—a dragon that won’t be tamed.

I finally decided to read this book when I saw it, just sitting there, begging for me to pick it up, in my local library. I was excited. I had expectations for this book, which honestly, I didn’t think it would meet. I was surprised to find that it was better than I originally hoped it would be.

Trinity is struggling with keeping her grandfather’s museum afloat and them together when an unexpected (and desperately unwanted) discovery changes their life forever. With money that was supposed to keep them above water for just a little bit longer, her grandfather buys what he believes is a real dragon egg. Trinity, devastated with her beloved grandfather’s decision refuses to believe in his fantasies. That is, until she starts hearing voices and a mysterious man claiming he is from the future trying to save to the world from a dragon apocalypse shows up at her doorstep and saves her life. Unknowingly, she is sucked into a world she only ever saw in the craziest of video games.

The writing was impressive. The witty humor and cynical sarcasm made me almost laugh out loud more than once. I loved how light and fun the novel felt. I couldn’t put it down until the last page. It was fast-paced, humorous and action-filled, all the things you could ever want in a dragon novel.

Things I didn’t like? The continuous video game references. I didn’t really see the point in how video games kept showing up in really random places. I’m not so much a gamer-girl myself, so I just didn’t get it, or relate to it. If I could take one part out of this book, it would be that.

Things I did like? The love triangle. Definitely. It was fun and kept me turning the pages, hungry for more. I’m sorry to anyone who feels differently, but Team Caleb. All the way. Forever and ever.


In all, this book was better than expected, not the best I’ve ever read, and an exciting fantasy book mixed with just a hint of time travel. I enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone looking for another dragon book besides Eragon (even though it is a way lighter read than the Inheritance Cycle). A must-read for fantasy lovers and dragon lovers alike.   







No comments:

Post a Comment