Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars Movie vs. Book


The Fault In Our Stars book will forever go down in history as one of the greatest realistic fiction books of all time. It is destined to be a classic, read by book enthusiasts for generations to come. It is a staple on Best Books Ever lists and a book read by anyone deserving of the title of bookaholic. John Green, simply put, is a hilarious genius whose last thing on his mind should be the fear of oblivion. He will be remembered for a long time, and his many books are a reassurance of that fact. 

I eagerly awaited the FioS movie like a little kid awaits Christmas. Seeing it for the first time will be one of those memories that stick with me, even as an adult. I laughed, I gasped, I giggled with glee, and most importantly, I cried. 

I cried while laughing. I cried salty tears. I cried gasping sobs. I cried. A lot.

Could. Not. Stop. Crying.

The book made me tear up. It left a small puddle of tears on my pillow. The movie made me bawl. It left salty crust trails on my cheeks. It was amazing.

Anyone who had read the Fault in Our Stars book has an undeniable obligation to see this movie. Those who love the book will love the movie. No doubt.

Like all book-based movies, there were some differences between the two. Parts were left out, important quotes were left unsaid. In the book, Hazel came across to me as more cynical and sarcastic than she appeared in the movie. It was not a bad change. It was just another difference, and it was not better nor worse. 

One of my favorite things about the movie was that the script writers included some of the best quotes from the book. It made me happy to know the writers took into account how important the spectacular phrases in the book were to FioS lovers everywhere.

In my opinion, the movie was phenomenal and did justice to one of my favorite books of all time. Now, I have another movie to add to my top ten. Everyone should watch this movie. It was fantastic. I give both the movie and the book 6 out of 5 stars.








   

No comments:

Post a Comment