Sunday, June 1, 2014

First Blog Post Ever!

 How do you start the first blog post that you've ever written? No one actually tells you that. No one actually tells you anything about the really important stuff in life, now that I think about it. Like how to start your first blog page, or what to say when you're breaking up with someone, or what exactly is in fashion this decade. You just kind of have to sit down for a while and watch other people do it flawlessly, then struggle to appear just as perfect in your attempt. This is my attempt. 
   
  So you want to know what someone looks like after they finally put on their finishing touches to their blog and are writing their first blog post? Well, they have stunningly attractive dark circles around their eyes and even more sexy Albert Einstein hair seemingly defying gravity. They are also still in their pink pajama shorts and an oversize t-shirt rubbing the lingering sleep from their eyes.

  Ahhh...the glamorous life of a blogger.

  You know, I remember the exact moment when I went to my sister and said to her, "We should start a blog, together." I remember her gracious nod as she agreed that, yes, it would be a splendid idea that we finally write about the books that we consume like a vacuum cleaner consumes dust bunnies. I was, for lack of a better term, pumped. I researched what a newbie-blogger should now before started the wondrous journey of blogging. It was then that the first hints of how unexpectedly hard this was actually going to be appeared. Questions started to arise. Questions that were hard to answer:

Wordpress or Blogger?

Simple template or Ethereal?

Pink or Black?

Georgia or Times New Roman?

You get my point. 

Then I realized that blogging was more that witty remarks and ruminative thoughts. No, it was much, much more than that. 

When I started this blog, I knew that I would have to know a little bit of HTML. Every "So You Want To Be A Blogger?" post said so. "Be familiar with HTML", "Know your HTML", "Learn HTML!", and all those other comments reached me. I swear they did. I promise that I paid attention! It's just that when they said "Know Your HTML" I thought they meant it on the principle that you should know what HTML is. You know, what it does, what it means, what it stands for. Granted I still don't know what it stands for. Hot Tamale Monkey Lips? Hold The Massive Lion, maybe? 

...Wait I just looked it up...It means HyperText Markup Language. Thank You Google!

Even though I didn't know what it stood for until five seconds ago, I still knew it, at least knew about it. 

Let me just warn all the wannabe bloggers out there right now:

When they say "Learn Your HTML" what they really mean is "Learn Your HTML or You Will Die A Slow Painful Blogger Death"

Not even joking. 

Take it from me. My mind is so filled with HTMLs and CSSs and OMGs and WTFs that I feel like I'll start talking acronyms soon. My sanity is hanging in the balance. 

Even though I know more about HTMLs now than I ever wanted to know in my entire life, there was a small, almost imperceptible amount of fun in making this blog. I also learned to never underestimate the power of the search engine. 

Now that the hard part is over, I am excited to start doing what I've wanted to do for a long time: Blog! Maybe next time I'll write about books.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment