Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer Reading Wishlist

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is read. The white sunlight bathing my word-filled pages, the sound of birds chirping in the background, the relentless sunlight heating up my shoulders and face, and me, trying to focus on my book and not worry about my sunburn-prone skin.  It's moments like those that I dream about in the winter and fall. 

Usually the summer starts with my sister and I raiding the local library and reading like we'll die tomorrow. My sister is normally the one to have a list of books she wants to read that week, and I just browse the shelves like a shopaholic in a new clothing store. I don't know exactly what I want, but I always end up with a Leaning Tower of Books in my straining arms. I can never walk into a library and leave empty handed. 

This summer, I have decided to have a plan. A stratagem. A plan of attack. I scoured every book site I could find, looking for my many needles in the giant haystack of books. I compiled a list of want-to-reads that I plan to experience this summer. Of course, the list ended up to be about six dozen books; way too many to publish in one blog post. So I picked my top ten:


1.     Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: When I think "Summer Reading", I think "Romance". I love romance as much as the next girl, but realistic fiction- not so much. Realistic fiction must encompass the most books in the YA world, but, in my opinion, it is really hard to do realistic fiction right. John Green, Rainbow Rowell, and Sarah Dessen are some of the authors that have found that magic ingredient to make realistic books great. After seeing Anna and the French Kiss on so many book blogs, I had to reconsider my view on writing about reality. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is.(Summary here)
2.     Open Road Summer by Emery Lord: Rule number one of summer reading: Any books that include the word "summer" are pretty much automatically included in the mix. Along with Open Road Summer, there is also The Summer of Letting Go, and Second Chance Summer. What kind of Summer Reading Wishlist would this be if literal summer books weren't included?(Summary here)
3.     To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han: A book about past loves and long-hidden crushes suddenly revealed? Can I get a heck yeah?(Summary here)
4.     Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen: I absolutely fell in love with the movie and know I am positively dying to read this book. I've wanted to read this book since I discovered there actually was a book to read. It seems summer is a good time to finally crack the cover.(Summary here)
5.      More Than This by Patrick Ness: First of all, any book that John Green has even touched I will read in a heartbeat. The psychologically stimulating plot line and award-winning author is also pretty persuading. I simply cannot wait until I have my hands on this book.(Summary here)
6.     Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner: While I think that summer is definitely the time to binge on cute, laugh-out-loud books, I also think it is always important to read meaningful, mind-expanding books that help you to understand life lived through other people's eyes. The plot of this book was so thought-inducing and intriguing I could not ignore it.(Summary here)
7.     Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff: When I read that this book was written in free verse, I immediately wanted to read it. A story about making lemonade from the very complex lemons of life, this novel looks like it could be a lesson to all its readers. And what is summer without lemonade?(Summary here)
8.     Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu: A provocative novel about growing up, secrets, and living the life you've always wanted. My hopes are high for what this novel has in store.(Summary here)
9.     Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern: I think books about people who live differently than what we consider normal are worth learning from. How can you say no to a book like this?(Summary here)
10.Any and All Sarah Dessen Books: I know this isn't exactly one book, but it is one of my goals for this summer. I don't exactly know why, but Sarah Dessen books are the definition of summer reading to me. It’s weird, I know. Maybe it’s because the first Sarah Dessen book I ever picked up, I read in the summer. I decided I would follow my self-established rule, and read all the Sarah Dessen books I can get my hands on.


While there are many more books that I will read this summer, these are my top ten. Hopefully they are all as good as I want them to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment